Friday, November 1, 2013

NY Times: When Insurers Drop Policies: Three Stories


1. http://nyti.ms/1cs8QLK

2. Category of Problem/Issue: Health

3. Level of Problem/Issue: National

4. A problem/issue that individuals/families face.

5. Why is it important to individuals/families and how does it affect them?

People with individual health care plans could be subject to having their plans dropped. They will more than likely have to pay more for another plan. Also, the government healthcare cite is experiencing problems and these individuals are having a hard time signing in to view their potential options.

6. What are views on the issue/policy?

I've heard many different views on Obamacare. I personally like it, because I'm still young and I still have 4 more years to ride on my mom's insurance plan which gets me free first doctor visits and discounted prescription medicine. However, I know it won't last forever so I am trying to educate myself on other people's issues with Obamacare. In this article, three older people are being dropped from their current individual insurance plans. This only affects a small amount of Americans because not many people have their own individual health insurance. Two of the three people, are not only being dropped but now have to pay more for a new health insurance plan that complies with Obamacare. Their plans drop at the end of the year and neither will qualify for a cheaper, federal plan because of their income. From this side of it, it is unfair. People that seem to have worked very hard to get to where they are have to pay more for an insurance plan that fits with Obamacare when they already had one that worked well for them. I think ideally, Obamacare is a good idea, but it needs to be fixed a little bit. It is only the first month of it though so we can't complain too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment