Friday, November 1, 2013

University Star: Car-Sharing Service Available on Campus


1. http://star.txstate.edu/node/1092

2. Category of problem/issue: Environment

3. Level of problem/issue: Local

4. A potential policy that is being considered to help a problem/issue that individuals/families face.

5. Why is this important to individuals/families and how does it affect them?

This affects students on campus who lack transportation, students who commute, and staff/faculty. They are able to pay a daily or hourly fee to use the car instead of relying on trams or parking spaces.

6. What are your views?

I recently went to UT to see a play and I noticed that they, too, use Zipcars. I suppose it is it a better way to go green but also provide transportation to students who don't have any or students and staff who don't want to pay for a parking space or ride the tram.

It's kind of expensive though. $69 a day. I wouldn't pay for that if I were a freshman living in the dorms. The hourly price is more suitable to me. It's only $7.50 an hour. Again, if I were a freshman living in the dorms, I would pay $15 for a couple of hours to run some errands. I probably wouldn't pay more than that though. $69 just seems like  a lot but it does include gas, insurance, 180 miles, and parking on campus. So I guess it evens out.

No comments:

Post a Comment